I asked the beautiful Tara Luca from Olive Gap Organic Farm to tell us all the ways we can use their certified organic Tea Tree Oil. For those that are new to its use, I've included some facts about tea tree oil in general. Because there are so many uses, I've decided to segment Tara's Tips into three separate blogs:
Part 1 - Household
Part 2 - Beauty & Body (to be released 9 November)
Part 3 - Natural Remedies (to be released 16 November)
About Tea Tree
Tea Tree, also known as Melaleuca alternifolia, is native to the Northern Rivers of Australia and has been used by indigenous people in the area for thousands of years.
It is a natural antiseptic and is now known to have antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. It’s the most widely researched of all essential oils and has scientific backing to support its effectiveness.
It's quick and economical for eco cleaning, natural hair & beauty and as a natural remedy for common conditions.
To get the most out of the Tea Tree tips below, you'll need some 500ml & 250ml reusable glass spray bottles.
Don't store Tea tree in plastic as it can break down over time and eat away at the plastic. Amber is best, but any glass will do. Also, a few small jars can be convenient to store extra masks, scrubs or mixes you'd like to use again later.
Part 1: Household Cleaning
- MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANER: In a 500ml reusable spray bottle. Combine 350ml of warm water with 100ml of white vinegar and 10-15 drops of certified organic Tea Tree Oil. Use to wipe over all surfaces to disinfect, clean and deodorize. For tough stains, sprinkle a small amount of bi-carb soda to the area, apply the spray and gently scrub.
(Be careful of using vinegar on marble or granite, as it may damage the stone).
- AIR FRESHENER: Add a few drops of tea tree oil to an oil diffuser to purify the air naturally. It kills germs in the air and deodorizes the room with a scented boost.
- WINDOW CLEANER: For a natural glass cleaner that smells amazingand doesn’t leave a fog, combine 100ml of white vinegar, 100ml vodka or high proof alcohol, 300ml of water and 10-15 drops of Tea Tree Oil in a 500ml reusable spray bottle.
- MOULD: Combine water and 10 drops of Tea Tree oil in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle to keep combined, and spot treat existing areas of mould. Leave for a few minutes and wipe away. To prevent mould and mildew, spray to apply where needed. The multi-purpose spray also works for this.
- FABRIC SOFTENER: In a reusable glass container or jar combine approximately 6 cups vinegar and 1 cup baking soda. Add 10-15 drops of Tea Tree oil for a homemade antibacterial fabric softener.
- CLOTH NAPPY & BABY CLOTHES SOAK: Add 8-10 drops of Tea Tree Oil to a bucket or basin of warm/hot water. Soak cloth nappies and basically any gross things to deep clean and remove odours.
- FLOOR CLEANER: Add 8-10 drops to a bucket of warm water to mop floors, remove stains, deodorize and disinfect the whole surface.
- VACUUMING: Add a few drops to your vacuum cleaner bag or chamber to reduce odours and purify the air.
- KITCHEN SPONGES: Apply a few drops to disinfect your kitchen washing sponges. Give them a soak in the sink once a week with warm water and 4-6 drops of tea tree oil to give them a deep clean.
- DISHWASHER: Add 3-4 drops to the rinse aid in the dishwasher to disinfect and clean. Spray the multi-purpose cleaner inside the dishwasher about 10min before putting on a load to get rid of any grime build-up.
- FRIDGE: Use neat or diluted with warm water to remove mould and built-up scum in the refrigerator. It also naturally deodorizes any bad smells.
- REMOVE LABELS: Add a few drops to stickers to remove easily on jars so you can reuse them. For persistent ones, add a few drops to warm/hot water in the sink and soak for a few minutes before removing.
- PERMANENT MARKER: Add a few drops neat to a tissue or cloth to the permanent marker from plastic tags or other places you would like to remove.
- CHEWING GUM: Add a few drops neat to remove chewing gum from surfaces.
Stay tuned for Pt 2 on uses of certified organic tea tree oil for beauty & body treatments!
If you are a long time fan of tea tree oil, but never tried CERTIFIED ORGANIC tea tree oil, now is the time to make the change. I promise you - you will love it. If you've read this far into the blog, why not join the tribe that loves our certified organic tea tree oil. Pop the 20ml baby or 50ml value bottle into your Naturally Northern Rivers Australia cart & checkout with the code: TTOVIRGIN for a 5% discount reward - enjoy keeping you & your family safe!