This is the final blog in our 3 part series dedicated to uses of our Olive Gap Farm certified organic tea tree oil. Part 1 was all about household uses & Part 2 about treatments for beauty & body. The lovely Tara Luca completes the series with her top tips for use of this wonderful eco-warrior as natural remedies.
*Some people can be sensitive to Tea Tree, so always spot test skin before use.
Part 3: Natural Remedies
- CUTS & WOUNDS: Apply neat or add to a small amount of water to dilute and disinfect wounds, cuts and scrapes. It is an effective antiseptic for anything that needs to remain clean, such as new piecing’s, tattoos and minor surgery.
- COLDS & FLU: Add 4-6 drops of tea tree oil to a bowl of warm/hot water. Cover your head with a towel and breath the steam in slowly to help relieve respiratory congestion or clear out the sinuses.
- SINUS CLEAR: Add 1 drop to a netty pot to clear out the sinuses.
- FUNGAL CONDITIONS: Used for the treatment on athlete’s foot, ingrown toenails, tinea and jock itch, either apply neat to the area or add to a warm bath or foot basin and soak for 10-15min.
- ACHES & PAINS: Used for its anti-inflammatory properties, add 4-8 drops into a warm bath or apply 3-4 drops to a carrier oil like coconut, jojoba or similar and massage into sore areas. It can also be used to relieve arthritis.
- HEAD LICE: Make your DIY nit treatment. Start by washing your hair and applying a generous amount of conditioner mixed with 10-15 drops of Tea Tree Oil. Cover head with a shower cap and allow it to soak in. Remove cap and comb wet hair through with a regular wide-toothed comb to straighten and detangle. Once hair is tangle-free, use a fine-tooth nit comb to drag through the hair, starting at your roots and touching scalp to remove eggs and lice.
- PERSONAL CARE: Add 6-8 drops to a bath to cleanse, deodorize and prevent vaginal infections.
- CANDIDA: Add 6-8 drops to a bath to help relieve candida and vaginitis.
- STINGS & BITES: Apply neat or mix with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba and apply to stings and bites to soothe and disinfect.
- INSECT REPELLENT: In a 250ml spray reusable spray bottle combine 120ml Witch hazel, 120ml Water and 30 drops of Tea tree oil.
Optional: Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract / and or 1 tsp Neem oil.
Image credit Matthew Henry
- PET CARE: Add a few drops to the water when bathing pets to help prevent fleas and remove smell and germs. Combine water and 6-10 drops of Tea Tree Oil in a spray bottle and apply to coats to treat fleas and mites. Can also spray pet bedding. Tea tree is also known to help improve the shine of your pet's coat. Dilute larger amounts in a 1-litre pressure spray bottle for animals such as horses to treat Queensland itch and other fungal infections.